Tuesday 26 March 2013

CAG on travel: Climbing in the Peak District, England


This past weekend, I attempted to start my spring climbing schedule and do some exploring of England’s Peak District. I’m trying to train to climb a much more ambitious mountain, so I thought some hills and about 8 hours worth of walking from Buxton to Chrome Hill might help with my training.
The Peak District is the 2nd most visited national park after Mount Fuji in Japan. The walks are meant to be challenging and very beautiful.

Unfortunately, spring in England means this…

The area looked so beautiful in the snow, which was really great, but on the first night I couldn’t even get all the way to Buxton and was stuck in Ashbourne (not exactly the most interesting place to get stuck). The next day after arriving in Buxton and the very ‘quirky’ Buckingham Hotel, it was still snowing so much that all walks in the hills were off limits- again.

Buckingham Hotel Buxton
Cabinet of curiosities?
There was plenty of time to make my first lovely snowman.

Slightly grumpy snowman
On the last day, I fit in a short jaunt regardless of the hip deep snow. I would love to go back and see what the area is like in less wintery conditions, so some more areas could be explored of the Peak District.



No comments:

Post a Comment