Monday 18 March 2013

CAG in London: Kristin Scott Thomas and the Barber of Seville


This past week, I had to go back to London to work at the British Museum, and while I was there I took in every bit of culture that I possibly could. I went to Lichtenstein at the Tate Modern. It was a very interesting retrospective, which the Tate usually does well.

Outside of The Harold Pinter Theatre
I went to Harold Pinter’s Old Times, starring Kristin Scott Thomas, Rufus Sewell and Lia Williams. I was told before going that the two starring actresses switch roles depending on the night, and that will define the kind of show you see. The night I went, Kristin Scott Thomas was playing Kate, and Lia Williams was Anna. I thought the play was dramatic and had a few good laughs to break it up, but overall it was pretty confusing.

Somewhere towards the end I just didn't understand what was happening anymore. And in the future I’ll also learn not to have multiple drinks before a play that has no intermission!

Ceiling of theatre 
Stage before the show
I also went to the English National Opera house to see The Barber of Seville. I hadn't realized it is the prequel to The Marriage of Figaro, which I went to last year and I was really pleased to see it. Any comedic opera about falling in love, wooing someone, and pretending to be drunk gets my vote.

Inside the ENO
Something strange did happen though...as the lights dimmed to begin the opera, the Casting Manager for ENO came on the stage to announce that the actor playing the role of Count Almaviva was very ill, and so was his understudy. He then explained that they could only find one actor who knew the staging and another who knew the specific song translation ENO was using. So while one actor was playing Almaviva onstage, another was singing his part to the right of the stage.

Announcement of change to actors
Scene onstage
Overall I really loved the opera, but there was certainly a weird Milli Vanilli vibe for the night.

Milli Vanilli (in black) taking a bow


No comments:

Post a Comment