Friday 1 March 2013

CAG on museums: The Royal Tyrrell Museum, and Dinosaurs!


The Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology will always be one of my most memorable museum visits. Although I prefer art and anthropology museums, what kid didn't grow up wanting to be a paleontologist and study dinosaurs? So there’s still a soft spot in my heart for massive dinosaur exhibits and the Royal Tyrrell is fab.

I happened to be visiting Calgary, Alberta and my friend and I decided that this museum was worth the hour and a half drive into the middle of nowhere. There is also a Dinosaur Provincial Park nearby, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site and is meant to be worth the visit. I didn't make it there, but if dinosaurs are really your thing you should definitely check it out as well.



The Royal Tyrrell had a wonderful Charles Darwin evolution exhibition at the time. It also had a lot of rooms that brought you through the timeline of the evolution of dinosaurs by looking at bones, fossils, and interactive displays.

Though the museum learning programming is mainly aimed at schoolchildren, everyone can really learn from a museum as well put together as this one and enjoy their time.

No comments:

Post a Comment