Friday 31 May 2013

CAG on travel: I (Heart) Durham



OK, I'm not sure Durham really counts as travel because it's only about a 15 minute train ride from me, but it certainly does feel like a different world and I'm loving Durham at the moment. A couple of weeks ago there was an actual break in the rain for one glorious Sunday, and I met up with a girlfriend in Durham for the day. We met quite late, and in all honesty you don't need much time to see Durham.


As we made our way down from the train station towards the city centre, we soon found a cute market in a town square. There was clothing and little foodie stalls to sample local goods. We were impressed.


As we continued down through the town, we headed towards Durham Cathedral and hoped to catch a museum while it was still open. The views and architecture are really spectacular in Durham, and most of all, it just felt peaceful.


Durham Cathedral is very beautiful and I refrained (barely) from sneaking a prohibited photo of all the amazing stained glass windows.


Winding our way down from the picturesque area of Durham University and the main city, we suddenly came back to the exact market we had originally come to in a loop that probably would have taken about 15 minutes to walk had we not made our tourist stops along the way. And then it hit me... Durham is tiny! Really beautiful in an Oxford type of way, but with a much more quaint feeling you can't get in the city of Oxford. So I guess I'm glad I don't live there, but I'm glad it's there. The air literally just felt different and smelled fresher. Continuing on this love affair with Durham, stay tuned for my upcoming best pubs in Durham post (it was a really small town, you have to kill time somehow).



No comments:

Post a Comment