Wednesday 16 October 2013

CAG on travel: Marrakech, Morocco- part 1

Everyone needs a little sun once the UK starts to turn back to its normal state of grey and gloom. A quick trip to Marrakech sorted my need for sun and warmth right out. I actually went to Morocco last year as well, but went to the seaside village of Taghazout for sun, surfing, and yoga...my most super yuppie venture to date. I don't normally just travel places for full on holiday relaxation, so I did feel quite guilty about just staying within 5 km of my hotel, and seeing little else of Morocco than the waves.

On my return to Morocco this time, I stayed in a 'traditional' riad in Marrakech in a riad chain owned by the Lotus Group. On the very first night though, the room wasn't ready and instead we were offered a stay in another Lotus riad, the Infinity. The owner and his sister greeted us and were both really lovely. It almost convinced me that I should stay there the next time.

Riad Lotus Infinity, view into my room

The courtyard

The settings on the inside are a complete contrast to the outside setting of the Medina at night. Inside the walls of the riad, the courtyard seemed like some sort of spa relaxation area except that was the whole place. Marble floors, fountains, flowy curtains, African masks displayed very museum-like... I was really loving it.

View of Infinity terrace

Then on to dinner at the actual riad that we would be staying at for the next few nights, the Riad Lotus Privilege. It was even bigger and grander than anyone could ever expect. Especially considering that you take twists and turns down an alley that makes you worry for your safety, and suddenly you enter the door and are surrounded by opulence.

Riad Lotus Privilege courtyard by night



Dinner was delicious starters, tagines, and Moroccan wine and included a belly dancing show as well.


The dancer selecting audience participants

After a pretty amazing night and what felt like a full day of travel, a lovely rest at the Riad Inifinity was all I wanted. Somehow I didn't sleep that well though and suddenly it was 4 a.m. or whatever a.m. middle of the night and the beautiful for the first 5 minutes, terrible after another 10 minutes morning prayer began and I never got back to sleep again. All part of the cultural experience I guess. More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment