Wednesday 3 July 2013

A big Greek wedding... and some recharging

Long time no write, but I've had a really amazing week of relaxing at home in Greece and being in Athens for one of my oldest friend's wedding. Because I don't live in Greece and the weddings of family and friends seem to be announced within my circle at relatively short notice, I haven't actually been to a Greek wedding before. I was attending at the end of a week filled with beaches, sun, eating way too much Greek cheese, and relaxation. Despite having a week leading up to the wedding, there was certainly a lot more anticipation and events schedule than I am used to. This really heightened my own curiosity about what all the ritual and ceremony of a Greek wedding would really entail.

A view of the beach on Halkida, island connected to Athens by bridge
In the days before the wedding there were bachelorette parties, which I was told are not traditional in Greece and explaining them was actually a bit embarrassing- feather boas, veils, matching outfits, slightly more than social drinking - it really underlined the cultural difference for me. There was a party to celebrate the groom's birthday, and the night before the wedding there was a party at the bride's house for her friends and family. I'm not so sure about the traditional element of these parties, but they did keep some traditional Greek 5am end times, so all that rest and relaxation might have come undone a little on my part.

Dressing the bride
On the wedding day itself, that's when things really became interesting. The girls were asked to come to the bride's house in order to dress the bride. Little did I know that actually physically meant dressing a bride. Imagine 20 girls in a room clamoring to dress one tiny bride and pulling her in all directions all the while singing, clapping, and partaking in some rather loud Greek shouting (which is just normal conversation but comes out louder than English seems to). Amazingly what was really disorienting for me is I believe my friend truly enjoyed all of it and seemed happier than ever. Clichés apparently exist for a reason, and the 'dressing of the bride' felt a little like the corresponding scene from My Big Fat Greek Wedding -except she obviously looked way better!     

Attention to the 'something blue'
After the bride was dressed probably about half of all her family and friends were waiting for her to come out and visit with everyone. Then the bride wrote the names of the single girls in attendance on the bottom of her shoe. I think that whichever name is the boldest by the end of the night is supposed to be the girl who gets married next, but I didn't look.

Then apparently the brother of the groom was supposed to come to put the shoes onto the bride, but he was late. So first there was some traditional hora circle dancing that occurred with the bride in flip flops while waiting for the brother to arrive. At 7pm as we were meant to be in church, it became apparent there had been a mixup, so the bride had to be shoed by another male family member, and we headed off to walk to the church...in the middle of an Athens road...with a huge party of 50 people. Definitely something to be seen.

Arrival at church to a pre-marriage kiss!! cheeky
Inside the little church in Psyhiko, it was hot. Beautiful, moving, and HOT. The people who stood next to the bride and groom where there for support, AND to fan the bride and groom and mop up sweat. For real.

There is a lot of ritual in a Greek Orthodox wedding, and overall the lighting of candles, crowning, drinking from the same cup, taking the first steps as husband and wife, and the final words to the couple take around 40 minutes, but in the summer heat it can be hard to bare.

The crowning
Possibly the most surprising part for those who haven't been to a Greek wedding would be the rice throwing. The whole time the priest was reading from his bible I kept thinking that is one massive, silver inlaid, 'this means business' bible. When the rice throwing began as the couple took their first steps as a married couple, the sweet and demure toss I'm used to in American weddings somehow was turned into what seemed like a public stoning, but with rice replacing the stones. That priest's bible made of steel really came in handy as he used it as a shield himself and the couple from the rice warfare.
The rice- Photo copyright Dot Studio, 2013

Arriving at the reception
The rest of the wedding was largely like a lot of international weddings with the cutting of the cake, father-daughter dance, dinner and wine, but with the Greek additions of hora style traditional dancing, smoking being allowed at the tables (still hard for me to get used to), and a normal party end time of about 6am.

Those green leafy veges are just for show, 98% meat plate



The traditional father of the groom dance 
What economic crisis! (Just kidding, they are the best napkins)
I'm so happy I could be there and witness my friend getting married, and she's taught me a lot over the last week. Mainly that we should all be so lucky to be as happy as her.

No comments:

Post a Comment